WashU’s Data Governance Program is an institution-wide, focused on a strategic vision and guiding principles. We support a robust, innovative, shared data-informed framework by leveraging our people, processes and technology to effectively and properly manage our institutional data as a strategic asset.
What is Data Governance?
- Provides organizational framework for data guidelines and standards to effectively manage data
- Maximize the value of our institutional data while minimizing potential risk
- Empowers our community with the knowledge and tools to make informed data decisions
Benefits of Data Governance
Data Governance is essential for unlocking the full potential of data assets:
- Superior Decision-Making
- Improved Operational Efficiency
- Improved Data Quality
- Regulatory Compliance
- Increase Collaboration
WashU uses a data intelligence platform called Collibra to support the university’s data governance efforts. Collibra contains business terms, report catalog and many data artifacts. Collibra also assists data stewards and data coordinators by streamlining and organizing responsibilities, establishing workflows for decision making. For more information, visit our Collibra Data Governance Overview page.
Personnel and Policies
WashU owns all University Data, the Office of Data Governance (ODG) provides leadership and collaborative efforts to determine the University Community’s data-related responsibilities.
Our data governance framework serves three primary purposes:
- Assigns stewardship, management, and custodianship responsibilities for University Data.
- Empowers leadership to advise the University Community regarding procedures for effective management and protection of data consistent with the needs of the University.
- Recommends data-related standards and protocols
The Office of Data Governance (ODG) will lead the strategic effort, while our Data Stewardship, who are most familiar with a specific data domain will be actively engaged.
Data Stewards and Data Coordinators meet monthly with the Office of Data Governance (ODG) to discuss topics surrounding WashU’s data, business term maturity, workflow processes, data governance best practices, and Collibra training.
In order for data governance to be successful, Data Stewardship must be a shared responsibility across business functions, information technology, and everyone who interacts with University Data.
Contact the Office of Data Governance (ODG)
For additional questions and information regarding WashU’s Office of Data Governance Program, please contact our team at: email@example.com