One of the most commonly asked questions as we transition into the new Workday / new Data Warehouse environment is “where do I go for my reports now?”. This information will help you to understand when to use Workday and when to use Cognos for your reports.
First, it is important to understand what we mean by “Legacy” data. Legacy data refers to Human Resources and Finance data prior to July 1, 2021. See the chart below for a visual representation of this.
- Use Workday if you want to report on current Finance or Human Resources data
- Use Cognos if you want to report on Legacy Finance or Human Resources data
- Research and Space reporting will continue to be done in Cognos
Combining current data from Workday with Legacy data from the warehouse
- You can merge Workday data and Cognos (warehouse) data in Excel or other similar tools. This requires no additional access permissions, but will require advanced skills to merge data from two systems.
- You can combine Legacy and Workday Journals/AIS Transactions data using a special package that we have developed for this purpose. We have also provided a few year-over-year report templates to help you get started. Learn more about this here.
If you need to report on a different combination of Legacy/Workday data (other than Workday Journals/Legacy AIS Transactions), please submit a request to the Data Team.
Reporting on multiple domains (Cross-domain reporting)
If you need a package which combines data from two or more domains (such as HCM & RMS for example), please make a request to the Data Team.
Breakdown by Data Source
HRMS or FIS
HRMS and FIS data will be visible, though not editable, inside HRMS and AIS for approximately one year after the Workday go-live date. Both during and after that year, Pre-Workday data will be reportable from within Cognos, a reporting tool that connects to our data warehouse. HRMS and FIS data from after the Workday go-live date will be reported on from Workday. Additionally, after the HRMS and AIS systems are retired, there will be some reports in Cognos that mimic some of the key screens from those systems (examples: Doc Inquiry, SPA data).
RMS data will still be reported on from Cognos.
WebFOCUS (planned decommission June 2022)
WebFOCUS data is static as of FY21 (July 2021). Workday reports should replace all WebFOCUS HR and financial reports.
Note, Workday reports will only work with data inside Workday. Pre-Workday HR and finance data, as well as other types of data, such as student data, will remain accessible in WebFOCUS until its retirement. WebFOCUS will be retired on June 30th, 2022.