One of the most commonly asked questions as we transition into the new Workday / new Data Warehouse environment is “where do I go for my reports now?”. This information will help you to understand when to use Workday and when to use Cognos for your reports.
First, it is important to understand what we mean by “Legacy” data. Legacy data refers to Human Resources and Finance data prior to July 1, 2021. See the chart below for a visual representation of this.
- Use Workday if you want to report on current Finance or Human Resources data
- Use Cognos if you want to report on Legacy Finance or Human Resources data
- Research and Space reporting will continue to be done in Cognos
Combining current data from Workday with Legacy data from the warehouse
- You can merge Workday data and Cognos (warehouse) data in Excel or other similar tools. This requires no additional access permissions, but will require advanced skills to merge data from two systems.
- You can combine Legacy and Workday Journals/AIS Transactions data using a special package that we have developed for this purpose. We have also provided a few year-over-year report templates to help you get started. Learn more about this here.
If you need to report on a different combination of Legacy/Workday data (other than Workday Journals/Legacy AIS Transactions), please submit a request to the Data Team.
Analytical and Historical Reporting
Reporting on multiple domains (Cross-domain reporting)
If you need a combination of data from two or more domains (such as HCM & RMS for example), the new Data Module functionality in Cognos can help you do that. If you wish to learn how to use this feature, please make a request to the Data Team.
Breakdown by Data Source
HRMS or AIS/FIS
HRMS and FIS data from after the Workday go-live date of July 2021 is reported on from Workday. Pre-Workday data is reportable from within Cognos, a reporting tool that connects to our data warehouse. Additionally, some pre-written Cognos reports have been developed which mimic some of the key screens from those systems (examples: Doc Inquiry, SPA data).
RMS data will still be reported on from Cognos.
WebFOCUS (decommissioned November 15, 2022)
Workday reports should replace all WebFOCUS HR and financial reports. WebFOCUS was retired on November 15th, 2022.